Giving back through Kiva loans to support mom entrepreneurs

I hope everyone is having a great weekend!  I want to officially announce something that I am so excited about in tonight's post.  We have decided, as a family, to set aside $1 from every sale at The Busy Mom Boutique to use towards supporting mom-entrepreneurs in developing countries through a Kiva loan.  The mission for us has always been to support moms in business by promoting and selling their mom-invented products.  Now we have decided that the profit that we make through this site can also help moms in less fortunate, developing countries, to make their dreams a reality and play a role in the battle against poverty. 




It's funny because every time I think about this or talk about it, I smile.  I feel this overwhelming sense that this is exactly what I need to be doing.  Have you ever felt that way about a decision?  I know that our loans will start small since the business is still at the beginning stages, but I know in my heart that we'll still be making a difference in the lives of many women...and because of that, I'm pretty content in this decision. 


My goal is to post about each loan that we make here on the blog so that our customers and followers can read about each of the women that YOU are supporting with us.  So stay tuned for all of that!


If you haven't heard of Kiva or microfinance then keep reading below.  I have put some basic information that can also be found on the Kiva website if you're interested in learning more.  Here you go:

 
What is Kiva?  A non-profit organization with a mission to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty. Leveraging the internet and a worldwide network of microfinance institutions, Kiva lets individuals lend as little as $25 to help create opportunity around the world.
 
What is Microfinance?  A general term to describe financial services to low-income individuals or to those who do not have access to typical banking services.  Microfinance is also the idea that low-income individuals are capable of lifting themselves out of poverty if given access to financial services. While some studies indicate that microfinance can play a role in the battle against poverty, it is also recognized that is not always the appropriate method, and that it should never be seen as the only tool for ending poverty.
 
Thank you all so much for your support!  I hope you have a blessed week ahead.  I'd also LOVE to hear from you in the comments...I'll be totally looking for some adult conversation this week since my husband is away for business and I'm home with all little people under the age of 3 all week.  :-)
 

13 comments:

Good for you, what a great thing to do!

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Hi Im a new follower from the blog hop
Im over in the UK and would love it if you came to visit my blog
www.jollyjillys.blogspot.com

Hello. Newest gfc follower
would love a follow back and please say hi
Http://www.bragallaboutit.common

What a great organization! And how nice of you to contribute. Thanks for coming by 3 Moms In 1 today. Following back! :-)

Hi i'm a new follower from Monday Mingle would be great if you would follow back?http://clairejustineoxox.blogspot.com/

What a great organization. I am always amazed how little as one dollar can help others!!
new follower from the hop.
Visit us whenever you have the chance

new follower here.

cute kiddos.

http://momdaughterstyle.blogspot.com/

What a wonderful idea and how generous of you. Those dollars add up quickly too!

Stopping by from the To The Top Tuesday blog hop. Come by and see us at http://onebusymoma.net

New follower as OneLittleMom from To The Top Tuesday hop.
-Arianah
OneLittleMom.blogspot.com

Wow, what a thoughtful way to give back - L-O-V-E it!! Good for you :D Following you, can't wait to read more!

I really like your blog - I'm trying to get mine off the ground and was wondering if you could come check it out and consider following.

http://www.guitartrump.blogspot.com/

Hope you have an *amazing* day! :)

Alex

This is wonderful! It's so great that you and your family are able to do this.

I'm a new follower from Taming Tuesday Blog Hop. http://www.grandmasguidetolife.blogspot.com

Hi,there. Thanks for passing by and participating in Monday Mingle at ToughCookieMommy.com. Hopefully, I will see you back every Monday.

P.S. Have we connected on Facebook yet?

http://facebook.com/toughcookiemommy

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More